Portrait of Dean Finholt School of Information Logo

Thomas A. Finholt

Dean
School of Information

Campus is filled with activity and excitement as we reacclimate to in-person operations. The School of Information has demonstrated incredible resilience through the pandemic, and I am confident that we have emerged stronger.

UMSI’s Career Development Office surveyed the graduating classes of 2020 and found that, even as the pandemic put a strain on the job market, UMSI graduates continue to be in high demand. Across programs, 95% of respondents were working in their field of choice. The remaining 5% indicated accepting a position outside of their field for now, due to COVID-19’s impact on the labor market. Moreover, 95% report high levels of job satisfaction. The survey results demonstrate the value of a UMSI degree across a diverse range of work settings and positions.

The first group of Master of Applied Data Science (MADS) students graduated from UMSI in August after spending two years in the fully online program, studying data science at the intersection of people, information and technology. The graduation of our first MADS cohort is a strong testament to the students who took a chance on a new degree, to the faculty who design and teach the curriculum, to the staff who recruit, enroll, advise, and place our students, and to our partners at Coursera and at the Center for Academic Innovation.

Philanthropic support continues to play a vital role in UMSI providing world class instruction and research. In these challenging times, your commitment helps to ensure that our students, faculty and programs manifest the excellence that defines our school. The following funds are philanthropic priorities — central to our mission — that I hope you will consider:

  • UMSI Annual Fund – provides immediate support where it is needed most
  • UMSI Undergraduate Scholarship Fund – provides scholarship support for BSI students
  • UMSI Graduate Scholarship Fund – provides scholarship support for students pursuing graduate degrees
  • UMSI Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Fund – provides support for outreach, education and other activities that promote an inclusive environment at UMSI

Your contribution will make a tangible impact on our school, and we hope you will consider supporting the important work that we do. Thank you and Go Blue!

Sincerely,
Thomas A. Finholt Signature

Thomas A. Finholt, Dean
School of Information

UMSI’s Career Development Office surveyed the graduating classes of 2020 and found that, even as the pandemic put a strain on the job market, UMSI graduates continue to be in high demand. Across programs, 95% of respondents were working in their field of choice. The remaining 5% indicated accepting a position outside of their field for now, due to COVID-19’s impact on the labor market. Moreover, 95% report high levels of job satisfaction. The survey results demonstrate the value of a UMSI degree across a diverse range of work settings and positions.

The first group of Master of Applied Data Science (MADS) students graduated from UMSI in August after spending two years in the fully online program, studying data science at the intersection of people, information and technology. The graduation of our first MADS cohort is a strong testament to the students who took a chance on a new degree, to the faculty who design and teach the curriculum, to the staff who recruit, enroll, advise, and place our students, and to our partners at Coursera and at the Center for Academic Innovation.

Philanthropic support continues to play a vital role in UMSI providing world class instruction and research. In these challenging times, your commitment helps to ensure that our students, faculty and programs manifest the excellence that defines our school. The following funds are philanthropic priorities — central to our mission — that I hope you will consider:

  • UMSI Annual Fund – provides immediate support where it is needed most
  • UMSI Undergraduate Scholarship Fund – provides scholarship support for BSI students
  • UMSI Graduate Scholarship Fund – provides scholarship support for students pursuing graduate degrees
  • UMSI Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Fund – provides support for outreach, education and other activities that promote an inclusive environment at UMSI

Your contribution will make a tangible impact on our school, and we hope you will consider supporting the important work that we do. Thank you and Go Blue!

Sincerely,
Thomas A. Finholt Signature

Thomas A. Finholt, Dean
School of Information

Support the School of Information

Give Today